CZT Seminar Attendee Info
CZT Seminar Attendee Info - 2020
Thank you for registering for our Certified Zentangle Teacher training seminar which will be held either at Gurney’s Newport Resort and Marina or at the Providence Graduate Hotel in Providence, Rhode Island, USA.
This will be a seminar about how to teach the Zentangle Method and not a beginner’s Zentangle course. We suggest that you take a class with one of our CZTs but we realize that this is not always possible. We have said, in the past, that the only requirements to attend our CZT Teacher training class are passion and gratitude. While that has not changed, the depth of content of our program has. It will help all attendees if they are familiar with the basics.
Therefore, we recommend the following activities in preparation for attending the CZT seminar*.
- Please read and complete the 8 lessons in our book the Zentangle Primer Vol 1. This comprehensive "how to" book was written by Rick and Maria and will wonderfully guide you through the 8 basic steps and familiarize you with our vocabulary. It is available in soft cover on our website and in ebook format on Amazon.com
- We will be sending you a welcome package, please read all the materials carefully.
- Create some Zentangle tiles!
- Read our website,newslettersand blog (all free online).
- Consider joining the worldwide Zentangle community on our app, “Zentangle Mosaic”, available on Android phonesand Apple mobile devices. Here you will see a global mosaic of Zentangle art in a supportive and inspiring environment.
*Although we strongly recommend these exercises so that you are most prepared for the seminar, we will not be checking any of your work.
All meals are included in the cost of your registration starting with afternoon tea and coffee on Sunday afternoon and ending with afternoon tea and coffee on Wednesday. The meals are served in our private penthouse dining room. Wait until you see the view! It’s a great way to get to know your fellow tanglers and the food is delicious! The menus are carefully chosen to accommodate vegetarians as well as a hungry carnivore but if you have other dietary restrictions please let us know and we can put you in touch with the appropriate person.
We will supply everything you need to participate in the over 21 hours of classroom instruction. Of course, if you have favorite tools, bring them along! We will have a Zentangle store onsite as well, but there is no purchase requirement. If you have Zentangle tiles or Zentangle inspired creations that you would like to share, we invite you to bring them and put them in the Student Gallery. It is a favorite place to gather with your fellow students and admire and get inspired! Almost everyone has a camera, so putting something out for display means you are okay with others taking pictures of it.
Where It All Happens
We have hosted the last 28 CZT seminars in the mighty state of Rhode Island. Though technically the smallest state in the Union, we find it to be most wonderful location to host our seminars. Whether you are joining us at Gurney’s Newport Resort and Marina in the city by the sea or at Graduate Providence in the state’s capitol city full of culture and history, you will not be disappointed!
Both locations are wonderful venues in convenient proximity to major airports and railways and greatly invite exploration in more detail should you find you have some extra time to spend when you attend CZT training. Details and advice on adding to your trip are included in your welcome email.
Although a detailed schedule will be provided upon your arrival at the seminar, here is a rough overview. Please note the early start time. If your travel arrangements do not allow you to get there by check in time, you may want to consider arriving a day earlier.
2:00-4:00pm Check in with Zentangle
4:00pm Hotel room check-in (or possibly earlier).
5-6:30pm Opening class in the Grand Ballroom (17th floor)
7:00pm - Dinner
7:30pm - Plan on dessert and a casual gathering in the lobby after dinner. It’s a great time to see Rick and Maria and the rest of the Zentangle crew and to meet and get to know your fellow tanglers. Our Zentangle store will be open as well so come and see what’s new and available. If you brought some Zentangle art to share, you can put it out for others to enjoy in the Student Gallery- located in the Zentangle store.
Monday and Tuesday
Classes begin at 8:30am and end at 6:00pm with plenty of time taken for meals and coffee breaks. We will intermix class time with food, fun, creativity and enough time to get to know each other. Dinner is at 6:30pm. There will be evening events on both of these nights staring at 7:30pm. These are optional (but hate to miss) relaxing or creative hands-on events and most everyone attends.
Class continues - full of more tips for teaching and tangling - from 8:30pm until around 5:00pm. PLEASE NOTE: the seminar ends late afternoon on the last day so please plan your departure travel accordingly.
There is no dinner served on this last day. Many people find it helpful to add this night as an extra night stay so as not to rush.
Dress is casual. You will be sitting most of the day, so comfort is key. We think bringing layers is helpful as the classroom may feel warm to some and cool to others. The hotel is quite nice so if you want to spiff up a bit for dinner that is up to you. New England weather is variable, so check local weather just before you pack. Bring some comfortable walking shoes, too. There's lots to see around the hotel in downtown Newport and Providence.
Our classrooms are set with the student in mind but overhead hotel lighting is challenging for some artist’s eyes. If you have a battery operated mobile task light we recommend bringing that.
T.F. Green International Airport (PVD), Providence, RI
- T Green Airportinformation
- Car Service - We recommend Mike Bettencourt Car Service firstname.lastname@example.org(401-640-5539). He runs his own service and is very familiar with our group. We also recommend you use him for your returning airport runs. Tell him you are with Zentangle!
- Uber and Lyft are available in Providence
- Car Rentals
Logan International Airport (BOS), Boston, MA
- Logan Airport information
- Car Service - We recommend Mike Bettencourt Car Service email@example.com(401-640-5539). He runs his own service and is very familiar with our group and Rhode Island in general. We also recommend you use him for your returning airport runs. Tell him you are with Zentangle!
- Uber and Lyft are available in Boston
- Car Rentals
- Cab- There are many cabs available outside after baggage claim and the cost is roughly $175 per one way to Providence.
- Knight's Limosine
- Peter Pan Bus Lines operates between Boston's Logan Airport and Providence's Bus Station.
The Zentangle Store and Rhode Island Sales Tax
We will have a store open during our seminar. There you can purchase all of our regular Zentangle products plus new releases and many items that are available only to CZTs. Upon your arrival at the seminar we grant you the status of CZT pricing on store products which is up to 50% off retail for most items.
However, even if you plan to resell these products, Zentangle, Inc. is required to collect and remit 7% sales tax on all sales made (or in legalese, that can be considered to have a "nexus") in Rhode Island, unless you fill out and leave certain forms with us.
If you are from Rhode Island please complete and sign this RI state form:
If you are NOT from Rhode Island we will have appropriate forms for you at seminar.
If you have any questions, please email Martha at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us during east coast business hours (GMT minus 5 hours) at 508-234-6843.
Connect with other people attending seminar by liking our Facebook page and joining your seminar event.